Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sleepover!

Last night I had all my sisters over for a good old fashioned sleepover. Meredith, Audrey and Sarah. Let me explain my family real quick. My parents are divorced and have both been re-married for over 10 years. (12 maybe?) They both have had children with their new spouses so I have siblings that are as much as 16 years younger than me. So last night My dad's little girl, Sarah, 9, and my mom's girl, Audrey, 8, came over to spend the night with Meredith and I. It was really fun to see Audrey and Sarah play together. We all had dinner at my mom's house first and on our way back to my apartment I suddenly had this kind of panicked feeling about having all my sisters in the car together. I let my mind go to that "what if" place, you know? when you think about things you shouldn't. "if anything happened to us right now, our brothers would lose their sisters and our parents would lose all their daughters!" Why on earth was I thinking about this? I don't know. I stopped but I kept it at 10 and 2 with my eyes glued to the road. I think the fact that my mind went there was just an extention of feeling so happy at that moment that I wanted to grab everything and hold it in place. I didn't want time or anything else to take it away. Feelings are a funny thing. Sorta like Jeopardy. The feeling comes like an answer for which you don't know the question. Like the maternal pang of x emotion that came over me in the car with those girls that left me wondering what it was that hit me. Was it seeing Audrey with a "sister" her age? Let me explain Audrey for a second. She is THE sweetest person you will ever meet. Loves everyone and is not too cool to show it. She is a tall lanky girl with glasses and a bit of a bunny rabbit situation. I swear she's gonna grow into all these features and be a 6 foot tall supermodel. But for now, she's a little awkward. She loves to read and write and narrate situations as they happen. She'll come up with a story between the dish rag and the plate as mom is doing the dishes. She has the artist's curse. She has trouble with friends sometimes. This mean girl Katie from back home has told her she is ugly and weird and things like that. Oh and she is also home-schooled. Sarah, on the other hand, is also very sweet, but has the added zing of public schooling. I think she understands social skills a little better but it may have taken a little innocence. She just displays more typical 9 year old behavior. She's an artist as well, loving music and dance and showing very promising writing skills. (I'm serious, she's gonna be good) Here's an anecdote from yesterday evening that may give more insight into their personalities. We're sitting at the table and Audrey asks Sarah, "Do you think I'm weird?" and Sarah says plainly, "no." Then she adds, "If you keep saying you're weird then you'll believe it." And that was that. They were so cute together the rest of the night. I didn't realize they would get along so well. They called each other their "double s" (sister's sister) and said they were gonna live together when they grew up. So, what's the answer to the jeopardy puzzle, "A feeling that came over you in the car with all of your sisters together." hmm... What is.. LOVE?

Back at my apartment, we answered "all of them" to "popcorn, cookies or ice cream?" and snuggled in for Horton Hears a Who. It was a really special night that I know we will all remember forever.

No comments: