Monday, December 29, 2008

Back to the grind

Back at the office. What a relief. For at least four hours I can pretend that it's over. Pretend that I won't have to call 5 people as soon as I leave to see what the 'plan' for the evening is. You see, it's December 29th and most people are packing up the tree, waving goodbye to family, cleaning up and letting their previous rhythms settle back into place. But for me this year, Christmas will not end. Once the scent of pine trees and gingerbread began to leak into the air, my life became a revolving door of visitors. Grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles- some of my very favorite people in the world- have come to have their special dinners and special games and special gifts and special evenings. It's making me especially tired and fat. As far as I can see the official end of it all is still about 5 days out. Five days, several unopened presents, a couple gallons of eggnog and one New Year's Eve party away. Can I make it? I suppose you'll have to check back this weekend to see. Give me a few days; if you don't see a post by, say, next Wednesday, then get worried. For now though, I'm enjoying having to be somewhere. Sorry, but I HAVE to!

Anyway, I hope your Christmas was lovely and is ending. Mine really was/is nice. I'm enjoying myself very much and pretending that losing my second job isn't going to completely screw me. For now, I just feel like I'm on vacation!

No comments: