Monday, November 17, 2008

Siesta

I just got back from lunch and am feeling in need of a post-lunch nap. This got me wondering what it would be like if we had siesta in the US. My first reaction is that that would be awesome. But then my American-ness thinks that if we're gonna shorten the work day let's just leave earlier you know? Most days I see if I can just skip lunch and leave early or come in late. I usually bring my lunch cause I can't afford to eat out so I go to the kitchen and it takes me like 15 minutes to eat and then I sit there and try to think of what else I could do to fill up the next 45 minutes. And I'm not allowed to get overtime so I try to save errands to run or something. But i really wish I could've just come to work 45 minutes late! Anyway, on the other hand, it would do us all good I think to take things a little slower and to allow our day to play out and be long and full instead of rushing everything, "saving" time, and waiting til we want to cash it in for some R and R. Which surely never comes. We should take tasks one at a time, deal with the morning, take a moment to SIT and nourish our bodies with real food, allow it to digest, empty our minds and possibly even rest, then we open our eyes and only at that point do we consider the next set of tasks that the afternoon has for us. And when the sun sets in the sky we send our worries of the day with it and rest our hearts in contentment and our bodies in our beds to prepare for the next set tasks that tomorrow will bring.
Well, ideally, I suppose..

No comments: