Thursday, June 4, 2009

First comes love, then comes Europe

I've been a bad bad blogger... when was my last post? like 2 weeks ago? my oh my... It's been one of those moments where there is too much going on to focus in on any one thing with any amount of coherency. I'll attempt to give a little update.

We'll start with the good. I have been pushing really hard again to get some things going. First of all, I need to be making more money- I haven't even paid my rent for this month yet. So I've been whoring my skills and abilities on Craigslist as usual and have gotten some bites this time. I have spoken with a couple people about doing some singing for them, which is great- session work would be a beautiful gift to me right now. I met with a guy about watching his little 3-year-old and I think I'll probably start that in about a week. I've been painting and I think I'm almost ready to put my stuff up somewhere so I've been talking with couple people about that. I also have an interview with an interior design company that I am incredibly excited (and nervous) about. I also plan on taking my resume to all the interior design companies in Nashville along with a letter I wrote if this one doesn't work out. And lastly, my friend asked me to join his cover band which I think would be really fun. You see, so many things are on the verge.. It's a little overwhelming but I've learned that you have to cast a wide net so I'm sure that once everything plays out, some things will work and others will fall through and hopefully I'll be left with a nice amount of goings-on. These are my efforts to get a little more income flowing without comprimising the track that I'm on- that is the pursuit of creative, inspiring things. What I don't want to have happen is that I end up working fulltime on things that are not moving me forward- i.e. receptionist-ing and babysitting for 40 hours a week. I really feel like I'm making progress right now and thats too much time lost.

The bad things that have been occupying my time are some health issues.. I don't really wanna talk about it too much but I'll just say that my body seems to be freaking out on me and I have no idea why. Started the whole thing off with a UTI and its been one random ailment after another.. now I have 2 big canker sores on the inside of my lip and I swear my lip is swelling because of them. This morning I felt like I was gonna throw up.. that coulda been cause I didn't eat breakfast.. I don't know.. I guess the canker sores could be stress? Anyway, its not been fun, trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

So, back to life-y stuff, I have had 2 conversations recently- with Aaron and with my mom- about my ultimate goal and my idea of "success" and I been really doing some reevaluating. Also, in my discussion with my mom I kindof nailed down the 4 things that I am interested in pursuing in my life, they are, in a somewhat particular order: Music (as an artist-writing, playing, singing, performing), Visual Art, Interior Design, and Fashion. And of course, I didn't know where to stick this on the list because I'd like it to be incorporated into everything, but I'd like to serve people. I want my music and art to help people in some way and I also want to use my success to further causes that I believe in.

So, I've been thinking about long-term and short-term goals and here are some ideas- first of all, here is a picture of what I'd like my life to look like right now: Working 25 hours a week as an assistant to an interior designer, selling my paintings at galleries and coffee shops, doing vocal work here and there- sessions and bgv stuff, playing with the cover band (which is good money and practice!), playing shows with Trudy Chase and making clothes as the last priority but just to keep it going then maybe by next year I'd have enough to have a line in Naked Without Us. So that would last for the next year and would build up to next summer when Meredith and I leave for our Europe tour. :) I mean, it sounds like a damn good plan to me.. Then we tour Europe with Trudy Chase for the summer and well, from there, I guess we become international superstars what else? :)

No comments: