Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Here.

Let me tell you what. Figuring out what to do with your life is hard. Especially because it doesn't pause for you to figure it all out.

Yesterday I was at my new job and I had a "why the hell am I here?" moment. Here's what I thought: Considering the fact that I'm not getting paid and it's taking up 2 full days a week, I could be going to school instead. I've been counting it a positive to be learning new things and making connections without having to pay- free school- but the difference is that no matter how much knowledge gets in my head and money stays in my pocket, I will not have that bullshit piece of paper to show poeple and say "look how much I know!" I don't think I care really but it's worth mentioning because it does cross my mind from time to time. The truth is though, the other designer that I work with has a degree in interior design and she started out for free just like me and I have to opportunity to move into a position just like the one she is in. So what is the difference? I'm not quite sure so I just keep wondering.

Should I rent a studio and spend my days making paintings that I sell for prices I can't believe people would pay just like the artist I visited yesterday? She's been painting for only 2 years; she rents a modest space with 3 other artist and to be honest, I'm better. Personality-wise, I think I'm more meant for locking myself away in a creative box, blaring music and getting paint all over my jeans. But you know what? you can hide away in a closet painting Picassos all day but if you don't know anyone but your starving artist cell-mates, then no one will buy them. So perhaps that is where I am right now. I am making connections in a world that I need.

Or maybe I need to be focusing on music. Maybe I just need to be focusing- on anything! Maybe I need to just forget about a social life. Maybe I need to work 24/7- painting, singing, writing, promoting, sewing, thinking, reading, studying, creating, never sleeping. Maybe, I should just start roaming the earth. Maybe I should learn the guitar. Maybe I should go overseas. Maybe- maybe- maybe- what if? what if? what if???

No matter how many what-ifs-per-second my mind is travelling at, I always land on this: I am here. I may want to be there but I am here. It's the 'how to live in the moment while working toward to future' dilemma. It's a tough one. I guess what it means to me right now is keeping an eye on what/who i want to be and where I want to go but also having a clear map of what it will take to end up there. Visualizing the connecting dots just as I visualize my end goal. Right now, I am going to stick out this internship and let it be what it will be. I know I can learn a lot and make a lot of connections here and so whether this or school is better for that is not important I suppose, because I'm not in school, I'm here.

I think I just lost my train of thought a little bit so I'm gonna end this ramble session.

1 comment:

A.J. Soldo said...

Darling Katie,
How I sympathize with you. I have been, and am currently in, the same position that you are in now. Beginning to wonder if maybe we should just get used to it... good thoughts. Keep your eye on the prize but enjoy where you are at. Easier said than done, I know.