Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Corn Carpet

I started my internship yesterday. Yay! I'm interning for 3 months (and then hopefully getting paid after that) with an interior design company called JL Design. It was a great first day. I've really missed being around interior design and I think this will be just what I need to satisfy that part of me. Yesterday was mostly me following around one of the designers and asking a ton of questions but it was still very exciting for me. I love what the company does- mostly residential, from rebuilds and remodels to one-room makeovers to model staging. It's very urban and modern- they do a lot of lofts- but the designers have very ecclectic tastes like I do. They are also very interested in green design and are working on their certification to be 'green designers'. (And my boss is a vegetarian.) Yesterday I went with one of the designers (there are only two) to pick up some samples of "corn carpet". Corn carpet! It's made out of corn! It is very environmentally friendly as well as incredibly durable and stain resistant. It's so popular right now, they are having a hard time keeping it in stock. (that corn carpet is so hot right now... zoolander? anyone?) Anyway, I am such a dork when it comes to these things that I was giddy at the carpet place when he was telling us about it. I think I was mostly just giddy because I'm so happy to be doing this again. Working yesterday made me realize how much this stupid, boring desk job (i.e. being on facebook all day) is rotting my brain. I can't even tell you how much I am looking forward to running around and deadlines and pressure and creativity and net-working and making calls and working hard. Plus, we work out of a really nice condo downtown and I'm gonna get a keycard to it which means I can use the pool and the gym! And my boss may give me a blackberry. Yeah... I'm pretty excited.

1 comment:

Heather said...

EEEEEE!! You need to call me, pronto.