Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In Defense of Fashion

I like fashion. A friend once told me that he liked style not fashion because style is long-lasting, elegant, classy, not trendy, flashy, silly. I like style too. But I also like fashion. It doesn't bother me that I will look back at pictures of myself 10 years from now and say "what was I thinking?" I will also be able to identify what was going on in my life, what mood I was in, what I cared about, what I was preparing for. You see, I'm an artist and fashion is just one more way that I love to express myself. That is why I believe in taking risks, breaking rules, and being daring in fashion. I believe in all of these things with art. With that said, I'd like to talk about the Golden Globe Awards.
Last night I watched a little bit of a show where they were discussing the fashion of the night before's award ceremony and today I ran across this. Sure some of the things said were valid. After all, if there are fashion "risks" then there are fashion failures. They really rip these people apart though. I give the people on the worst-dressed list props for trying something new, something different. So, I'd like to try and defend some of these helpless victims.
Photobucket
Ok, I see what she was going for here. If it had just been a smooth nude something underneath I think it would've worked. When I saw video of her on the red carpet, particularly from the side, I thought she looked good. It's somewhat Victorian. It's very flattering to her figure! Overall, not terrible and props for going for it. Ok, next.

Photobucket
Ok, so it's wrinkled a little. ok, a lot. Oops. Get over it. I think the dress is actually beautiful. I like drapey things. I think it is flattering to her because she has larger breasts so the way it hangs is nice. Pretty color. Simple accessories and hair. I like it. And she's probably comfortable.

Photobucket
I'm gonna be honest here. I LOVE this. I'm sorry but I think it is fun, daring, young and something new to see on the red carpet. I think her face looks fresh and her hair is simple enough to wear with a bright bold dress. I would wear it.

Photobucket
Be honest, no one would be complaining if she was rail-thin. Picture it on Cameron Diaz. See? I think she looks great. She's beautiful and voluptuous and there's no reason she should have to cover it up. She's lucky to have the skin color that she can look so good with a couple rolls. I am pale so I cannot get away with the chubs at all. I really am glad that she is embracing her body like that. Little girls, look! Nope, stop looking at Megan Fox, look at this hot mama! (But wait til your older to show that kinda skin, ok?)

Photobucket
Well, that face is a bit of a shame.. I can't say I'm a fan of the hair, but it doesn't offend me and if she likes it then good. Here's what I think about the dress. It's a very pretty bodice, imagine if from right below the belt, it went straight down with the skirt into a normal floorlength hemline. That would be very nice and um, normal? predictable? Whether or not you think this worked, it is nice to see someone try and change it up.

Photobucket
I can totally see what she was going for here! This is a very bold, fun, and loud fashion statement so people will probably hate it or love it. The shoes and the fact that is is short struck at first and I didn't think I liked it but it's actually growing on me. I get it. I'm not sure if i'd wear it, but I like it.

Photobucket
Not my favorite, but she is definitely being creative. I think it's fun to go for themey kinda things, costumey things. You can't always wear an acceptable, sleek, agreeable dress. Sometimes you have to let out your inner pirate! Hopefully she felt good in it.

Photobucket
Oh the hair! the hair! ok, calm down. That's a beautiful dress, she looks beautiful. Her hair may be a tad too big. Like they said, she may have overshot the Marylin Monroe thing but I think we're all overreacting a little bit. She looks pretty overall. There's a fun retro feel to it.

Photobucket
I did notice when watching that this didn't do anything for her bustline. But it's a nice dress. A fun Cameron Diaz-only kinda color and a neat shape. I don't think her hair is bad. I've been diggin the roots thing on some people recently. Maybe it's a little flat.. But overall, I like it.

Photobucket
Seriously?? she's 15. Leave her alone. At least she is dressing her age.

Photobucket
I'm not gonna defend the raccoon eyes. She's a pretty girl and that's just too much. And I did think her hair was a little weird but maybe it just didn't translate well over video... Anyway what's wrong with the dress? I think it's very pretty. Nice color. Maybe they're right about the fit but I definitely didn't think it was much of an issue. I love the ruffles!

Photobucket
Ok, I'm not a fan of the slit or the "train". I'll give her the slit though cause she's young and she can. I like the bed head look. Overall I would actually complain that it's not that exciting. But she obviously liked it. I think it's interesting what newbee's wear vs. people who have been to many many award shows. She probably wanted to go for something young but elegant and sleek. Hopefully she felt like a princess for what i'm only guessing is her first big award show. Maybe she'll get more daring later.

I can't believe I did all of those.. haha. Let me defend myself also for a minute. I'd not throw these people into the best-dressed list, I merely give them props for trying something different. And I can see what they were going for. Gaze over the Best Dressed List though to see how much better these attempts could have gone. Anne Hathaway, are you kidding?? She looked like a real princess. wow. Angelina did the high slit the right way and so many others successfully mastered fit. Kate Beckinsale- beautiful!

No comments: