Friday, January 23, 2009

I Pledge

I don't really talk about politics much. I certainly have views but I don't really like to argue much. Well, sometimes I do, but on the subject of politics I never feel like it really goes anywhere. I think I have a pretty pessimistic view on the subject. It feels very hopeless to me. I think there is a lot that we don't know, as the general public. I'm very frustrated by the media and how quickly we all gobble up whatever is plastered in the television in front of us. It may seem, again, a pessimistic view, but I think there are very smart, powerful, money-hungry, and evil people at work behind the scenes. I like to maintain a certain level of faith in humanity, however, and in the good of people, so I'm not sure that I subscribe fully to certain conspiracy-theories and such, but if you look into some of the claims and ideas out there, you have to acknowledge that there are things going on to which we are kept blind. 911. Come on. Do a tiny bit of research and you'll see scary discrepancies. The Oklahoma City bombing, even Pearl Harbor. If your interested in that sort of thing, then watch this: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
It's very interesting and whether or not it is all factual, it definitely opens your eyes to certain possibilities. (The first part is on religion and that is a whole other conversation. Sufficed to say, they have eye-opening and intriguing evidence but I don't believe it points to the conclusion that they came to. Get past that though and you'll get to the more political stuff. The second video is cool too- about our money system)
Anyway though, this is all to set up a video. What I was trying to get to is this: I'm not an Obama fan. I didn't vote for him. Actually I didn't vote. (that's also a whole other explanation) I think Obama is conveniently getting people excited about having more government. Especially when he says things like "It's not about more government or less government, it's about whether it works" (Actually I probably shouldn't have put that in quotes cause it's not direct but anyway.. it was to that effect) What I DO like though is to see people care. To see people want change and get excited about being a part of something and for things like this:
Celebs 'pledge' to support Obama
Celebs 'pledge' to support Obama

Unfortunately the pessimism kicks in and I quickly lose faith in the endurance of the public's will to serve. I hope I'm proved wrong.

So what do I pledge?
I pledge to be open-minded and discerning. I pledge to seek truth. I pledge to turn my pointed finger on myself and be the change I want to see in the world.

No comments: